If you haven’t seen the “Earth As Art” ebook yet, take time to check it out. The pictures are amazing and offer unique perspectives of views both well-known and as yet undiscovered for many of us. You can learn more about this project here: “Earth as Art” info and resources.
ideas for use in the classroom:
- see if students can identify each place from its “artistic view”
- locate each place on a map/globe
- compare and contrast the “artistic view” with another photo of the place
- identify elements and principles of art used in each photograph
- discuss tone(s) and feelings associated with each photo
- Smithsonian’s Geography from Space quizzes
- “meet” Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield and connect with him on twitter to see his amazing pictures of Earth
- learn more about the NASA astronauts and take a virtual tour of the space station
What have you helped your students see from a different perspective lately?