Chosen to help inspire students to reach for the stars, this theme is also a challenge for teachers to help launch students’ literacy habits “by devoting an additional 60 seconds of literacy activities each day for 60 days. Celebrate ILD and share the message that developing a habit of reading, writing, listening, and speaking leads to lifelong literacy success.”
The IRA is offering free printables, an activity kit, and more. Check out the resources here and prepare for “Lift Off!”
How will you include an additional 60 seconds of literacy activities in your class each day?
Here are a few of my ideas:
- See how fast your students can alphabetize the class list – on paper or by physically standing/sitting in alphabetical order.
- Collect food labels and have students do a quick sort by brand, certain ingredients, or number of servings.
- Share a poem.
- Make lists of rhyming words.
- Post a picture and have a “Caption this!” contest.
- Try out some tongue twisters.